Monday, February 06, 2006

terribly busy sorry

Hey SSF, wha I didn’t know you were that interested in our games. Sorry I have been quite tied up with the CNY plus catching up with school notes and stuff that really got me feeling quite tired these few days. It sucks getting back to reality man. Oh well, ok I’ll maybe give a quick review of the Games as much as I can. (I actually wrote a whole completed blog on this, and then while trying to upload the pics, the whole blog has to close so it was all gone! Damn frustrated. I’m actually re-typing it on Word now just in case..)

During our 1 week stay at Perth, we basically played 6 games at Challenge Stadium (7 countries in total) and details of each day can be read at www.waterpolochamps.com so you can go check it out. (Just an ego booster: I’m mentioned in day 3 report on us against Scotland! Heehee..)

The ang mohs there are HUGE. They’re not only tall and broad shoulders and all that, but they’re HUGE..in every sense of the word. Heh. Every time after the introductory session where both teams are standing in one line (like that before a football match), then we’ll walk across to shake hands with our opponents, I’ll always tell them, ‘please dun kill me..’. The ang moh’s just took it as a joke and gave a little chuckle and then move on to shake the next person behind me. I was dead serious.

The Canadians were humongous. This pic on the right is with Canada’s #12, Christine Robinson. When I was just standing in the warm up pool, then I saw her walk past me and I looked up, and I was like, ‘I’m against her next. Shit.’ But after the match they were simply girls exchanging chips and Gatorade and all smiley and friendly when we asked to take picture with them.

Have I mentioned how playing waterpolo with them is like? Anyway, things can get pretty rough in there in the water. (For those who do not play Waterpolo, here’s a general idea of what it’s like.) As I mentioned, size does matter, especially if you’re the nearest person to the post in the center where you have the best angle to take a shot – the center forward. When you’re there, your defender is ON you like nobody’s business.. they’ll tug your collar they’re grab your who-knows-what and when the short-clock time’s up and there’s still no goal, they’ll kick off you like a standing board and counter like you didn’t have a life to live. In that process, you get scratched, pinched (!!), kicked/knocked/elbowed/butt-headed.. whatever you can think of..you can get it. Thing is, yes there’re referees around, but they’ll only blow a foul for you if it’s all shown ABOVE the water. So if they’re pulling your costume, you gotta rise up (by treading water really hard) so as to ‘show’ the referee that you’re being pulled, then he’ll blow the foul, or probably a sect, now with the change of rules. So let’s say they pull you at ur collar that straps across ur shoulders, and they pull inwards down your chest, AND you try to lift yourself up to show the ref.. what happens? PLUUUP! A breast is revealed. Tada… yeaps.. that happens quite a bit during international games especially (when it gets really serious).. in the world cup that I watched during 2002, girls’ costumes get torn 2-3 times and they’ve just gotta keep changing their costumes.. it’s because of this that they modified the rules that once they see a hand on another costume during a struggle, the ref’s are supposed to blow.

Wow my poor teammates got a lot of that going on in the game.. that’s partly why I chose to be a goalkeeper.. the only contact I have is the ball – whether on my face or breast – I’ld rather have that.

I must say we got what we wanted when we intended to go there in the first place. We wanted exposure, we wanted experience and we wanted to gain something valuable. We got the exposure, we definitely got the experience and nowadays, I guess there’s hardly a chance when we get to go overseas as a national contingent to represent our country and play against World Class players in the arena..

Anyway, I’m afraid I might have problems uploading pics but I guess I might have to do it one at a time.. so if I can find the time one day I’ll do it lah.. now gotta read my text for tmr’s lect!

(oh yeah, sorry SSF, no modeling pics. I declined the FHM and Maxim thingees but the guy said he’ll let me know about any other family magazines that might come by, which I preferred. Yup.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home